It was a rainy Saturday so we met under the Large Pavilion at The Coop. Each PAX picked a picnic table (they were all about 6 feet apart, of course!) and we got started with a little warm up.
Next we got down to business with the picnic table workout (45 seconds for each exercise with 15 seconds of rest in between). We did two rounds through and then each picked a number and did that exercise to take us through to the end of our time together. Meanwhile, the John Melancamp playlist reminded it that it “hurts so good” and that we should “hold on to 16 as long as we caaaaaaan, because changes come around real soon, make us women and men.”
- Step Ups – where you step up on the bench one foot at a time, then step back down, alternating the lead leg each time you step up.
2. Sit to Stand – This is where you squat and tap your backside on the picnic table seat each time.
- Box Jumps – We did NOT box jump onto the picnic table seats. That just seemed dangerous. We did it on the solid ground, thank you very much!
- Single Leg Plyometrics – Here is where you step up on the seat and give a little hop before stepping back down. Each leg got its own 45 second session during each round.
- Single Leg Lunge – elevate that back leg on the picnic table seat and lunge. Each leg got its own 45 second session during each round.
- Plyometric Push-Ups – lean on the picnic table top, push up and catch some air at the top each time. These get hard, y’all! (Apparently, they are especially hard after a Friday workout Q’d by U-Haul! Am I happy I was the only one that missed that? I won’t say!)
- Tricep Dips – Do I need to explain? Ok, if you insist. Hands on bench seat, feet out in front with knees bent, bend and straighten elbows to move your bum up and down and work those triceps.
- Glute Bridge – (How do you even spell “glute”?) In this one you lie on your mat and put your feet on the picnic table seat. Raise and lower your booty. We’ll feel that tomorrow!
- V-Sit Bicycles – Sit on top of the table, butt close to the edge. Lean back on your hands with elbows bent behind you. Then bicycle your legs out into thin air.
- Hanging Leg Reverse Curl – still sitting on the table with your backside near the edge. Hold on tight to the sides of the table and let your legs hang down. Lift your knees up to your chest and lower over and over and over and over.
After the FIRST ROUND, we each called a mat exercise to complete (except for Grateful who called Jumping Jacks because she was all about the cardio today!)
After SECOND ROUND, we did 5 burpees.
As we finished a cool down and stretch session and a sweet story about an angsty 13 year old boy finding out a couple wants to adopt him and how we too can experience God’s love (and like) toward us JUST AS WE ARE – angsty, weird, and all!