With kiddos going back to school this week, I used my school-themed beatdown from last year! Again I used the music from High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, the TV show about high school students and all their teenage angst 🙂
We started with Intro/Stretching/Warmups in the middle of the green:
We stretched out our muscles, then we did a warmup together of “Copying notes and passing notes”- everyone did windmills, while we passed around 5 jumping jacks. After that we ran/walked around the green one time.
We then proceeded to “switch classes” between different areas of the green, boardwalk, and the Thousand Hills parking lot.
We started with MATH class at our mats, by doing some addition, making sums of 12 with pairs of exercises.
- 1 burpee + 11 floor tricep dips
- 2 Merkins (push-ups) + 10 mountain climbers (L/R is one)
- 3 BGSs + 9 LBCs
- 4 speed skaters + 8 Raggedy Anns (L/R is one)
- 5 cross jacks + 7 plank jacks
- 6 Imperial walkers + 6 pendulum squats (L/R is one)
Then we ran/walked around the green again to get to the boardwalk sidewalk side for HISTORY class, learning about “wars.”
- Toy Soldiers, up the sidewalk and around to the other side of the low wall where we lined up along the wall
- AMRAP (“as many reps as possible,” until I said stop) Military Step-ups on the wall
- AMRAP Soldier jacks
We ran/walked around the green again to get to the side of the green where our weights were, for SPANISH class. We counted our weight training reps in Spanish!
- 10 Bicep curls
- 10 Tricep curls
- 10 Overhead press
- 10 Reverse flys
We ran/walked around the green again to get back to our mats, for SCIENCE class, where we learned about animals.
- AMRAP Seal jacks
- AMRAP Monkey humpers
- AMRAP Kangaroos (4 high knees, squat down and touch the ground)
- AMRAP Donkey kicks
- AMRAP Narwhals (switch sides at command)
- AMRAP Crunchy Frogs
Next was PE, starting with Track, by running to the Thousand Hills parking lot.
- Dribbling imaginary soccer balls, weaving thru cones
- Circled up and did Basketball shots, 10 each side
- 10 Volleyball squats
- Cheerleading: 10 Star jumps
- One more run, to pick up the cones
Finally we ran back to our mats to finish the school day with English class, doing some ab exercises.
- On your back, Spell out your whole name with your raised legs stuck together
- AMRAP Making exclamation points: leg-raise, then dot the exclamation point with a sky-kick, lower legs down, then repeat
- AMRAP “Erasing the board,” with legs together, sweep them horizontally back and forth, lowering and raising as you go
We then participated in some After-school Extra-curriculars:
- Run the “bases” for a baseball game, around the green
- Swimming across the green back and forth – freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly!
We finished up with Stretching/Cooldown together.
Since we were back to school today, the COT was about learning…
The Bible says in Proverbs 9:9 –
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
The message is: Be a life-long learner – always humbly learning and willing to learn…in life, character, academics, sports, skills, God, the Bible, and people! So let’s keep stretching and growing, because we’re never done, we’ve never “arrived”!